Thursday, February 20, 2014

No Sew No Tie Tennis Shoe Tutorial


I LOVE all of the cute little kids tennis shoes, especially the cute slip on converse, but I refuse to pay more for kids shoes than my own!!! Mine are twice as big... how can theirs cost so much? Sorry for the rant, it just bothers me because they grow out of them so fast, so I made my own with hand me down shoes, left over tutu elastic and some hot glue... total cost FREE in my book!


These are two pair of generic converse like canvas shoes my little boy wore once or twice before out growing so they were basically new.  I found them in the bottom of a kids clothes bin in the garage and was pretty proud of my hoarding ways, for once it paid off!


Because they were cheap to begin with and they had already served one kid I figured I had nothing to lose so I totally winged it and just started cutting.  I removed the laces and pulled the tongue forward, then used an exacto knife to make four small slits toward the other edge of the tongue where it would be hidden by the side of the shoe, just big enough for my elastic to slide thru.


The canvas is thick enough that I didn't have to worry about the holes ripping.  I just trimmed the elastic so that it reached the inside toward the sole on each side, put some hot glue on the top all four ends, pressed tight to the inside of the canvas until it cooled and sealed and that's it!


So cute, huh??  


From little boy to cute little girl in a couple minutes!  But these would work for a little boy too!


She's pretty proud of her new kicks!


She says they make her go super fast! I'm proud that they didn't cost me anything to make :)  So does that mean I get an extra pair for me?  I did technically "get" her a new pair ;)  In my mind craftiness should always be rewarded!!! ALWAYS!


Then again this face is a pretty great reward!


Stay tuned... I used the black pair for her DIY Clown Costume, I know I'm super behind on posting that one, but it is SO worth the wait!

Grab some old tennis shoes and give this a try, I'm going to try some in my size next.  Hey, a girl can never have to many shoes!

Enjoy,



No comments:

Post a Comment