Monday, November 4, 2013

Reclaimed Wood Horseshoe Lucky Sign Tutorial



Anytime you can do something with a hunk of old wood, some paint and maybe an old horseshoe thrown in for good measure, I'm in! So when I asked my dad, a horse guy, for some old horseshoes I'm pretty sure he thought I had lost my mind yet again, but because he's used to my crazy ideas he got them for me no questions asked.. well maybe a few questions but long story short he got me the goods and I've been itching to use them ever since.  If you don't have a horse or know someone who does, call a local farrier (horseshoer) in the phone book, I'm sure they'll help you out. 

My first project with my new stash took only a few minutes and I love it, so the questions about my "NEED" for old horseshoes were well worth it! 


To make the sign I used a piece of old barn wood cut to fit the four large letter stencils and the shoe, this picture is actually of another sign I made on a piece of scrap wood because I was so excited about mine I forgot to take pictures.  These stencils are just inexpensive paper 4 inch stencils that you can find in any craft section. I love to use paint pens for stencils, but if you have a steady hand a small brush and any color paint you have will work great. I have a caffeine addiction to help facilitate my crafty endeavors and I have the shaky hands to prove it, so the pens are more my speed.


Once the letters were dry I brushed on a layer of this great weathered grey stain over the letters on the sides and back of the board then wiped off the excess.  It takes a little extra stain and effort to do the sides and back but I like everything I paint to look nice and finished from all sides.  I think you will be glad you took the few extra minutes now to do it.  


To finish it off I used sand paper and lightly rubbed over the painted letters, brushed on a little Annie Sloan dark wax to age the paint even more and then nailed on the horseshoe using long black carpet tacks.  After a long hunt in Home Depot for the perfect nail, the long carpet nail heads are flat, they look rustic fitting with the sign and they were long enough to go through the shoe and the board but narrow enough to fit in the small holes, just make sure you get the long ones. 


Ours is just leaned against the wall on top of a dresser, but a few tap-in claw hooks on the back would make this ready to hang anywhere.


If you do have to cut your board to fit, the stain on the ends also helps hide where the new wood is exposed and no one will know that you didn't just pull this wood off of a 100 year old barn as is.

It's a really cute, unique sign and we love it, and who couldn't use a little extra "Luck" around the house???

Enjoy,


Enjoy,

No comments:

Post a Comment