Friday, May 31, 2013

DIY Rustic Western Dresser TV Stand


I'm at it again!!!  Last year I showed you my first attempt at turning a thrift store dresser into a TV stand (tutorial here), it's in our living room and we still love it! In fact I've received so many compliments on it, I made another as a gift!  But this time I decided to go for a two toned, more rustic look and tried a few new ideas and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. 


This is the dresser after I gave it a coat of ivory paint and sanded the edges (it was originally a scratched, faded, water stained blonde wood color).


Then, I took out the top drawers, including the metal runners.  In this dresser the shelf or layer under the drawers was very thin and dipped down so to even everything out, re-enforce the shelf and make everything look a little more polished I cut a piece of bead board that I had left over from another project and nailed it in place.  Next, because I found some amazing turquoise knobs at Hobby Lobby that look like big chunky pieces of actual stone I removed the old drawer pulls and filled in the holes with wood filler. 


I liked how the ivory looked but I decided it needed something else so I painted the top of the dresser, the entire bead board shelf area, as well as the drawer fronts and the inside of the drawers a deep chocolate brown. 


 Then I drilled new holes, added the fabulous knobs and cut a small hole in the back of the dresser just above the bead board shelf for the DVD and satellite box cords.


Finally to seal it all and add a little rustic antique effect, I used one coat each of Annie Sloan clear and dark wax (I love that stuff).


So much better than some boring generic TV stand.. don't you think?!?  These are so fun to make, my husband better watch out or I'll soon have one in every room!

Enjoy,




No comments:

Post a Comment