Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DIY Make-Up Brush Cleaner

I have amassed quite the collection of makeup brushes over the years, and some I have paid a small fortune for so you would think I take good care of them.. right???
WRONG!!!  I am ashamed to say I don't even know the last time they were cleaned... it has been THAT long!  I always start off taking good care of them, but then life happens and a few days turns into a few weeks... cough cough a few months!  I know it's gross, but I am vowing to turn over a new clean brush thanks to the realization that I no longer need the expensive MAC cleaner that I have been out of for months! 
The process could not be easier and you already probably have all three ingredients you need in your house. Because I have so many embarrassingly dirty brushes I separated them into two drinking glasses filled them 1/2 way with warm water, added a glug or two of vinegar and a pump or two of mild soap.  I used baby soap to attempt, for a change to be gentle on the bristles and glue holding them all together, but a mild dish soap would work too.  Obviously I am not big on precise measurements, but the theory is that the soap, water and vinegar will not only remove the dirt, grease and makeup but also the germs that have taken up residence in and round the bristles.
Give them a good stir in the liquid and let them sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse in warm water until the water runs clear.  Finally, pat off the excess water and let them dry.  I can't believe how much better these look!  If my sad brushes can be saved with this quick fix I have no doubts that yours will too.

Enjoy,


No comments:

Post a Comment