Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DIY Faux Metal Letters

This took maybe 3 minutes to make and it at least partially solved my empty space situation :) 
Do you have one of these large spaces in your kitchen and don't know what to do with it???  I sure do!  
Not a single thing in my cupboards that may actually be presentable fits up there so I have been trying to find or make somethings that would work.  My initially idea was to try one of these penny covered cardboard letters.  They are so cute and seem to be pretty easy, but in our new house the appliances are mostly stainless steel so I was worried that the copper might not work and lets be real here I'm far too frugal (aka cheap) to use nickles or (GASP) dimes or quarters... hehe!  
And I'm totally a bum and wanted a quick fix so I grabbed this metallic spray paint and decided to give to give it a try.
The letters are super light cardboard from Jo-Ann's and with a coupon they were a little over a dollar a piece.  I've had them in my stash of "things to make" (which is growing at an alarmingly fast rate) for months so it was about time I did something with them!  Knowing me they will be replaced with three more must have materials this week, when that happens more poor husband may just commit me for institutional level therapy so if you don't hear from me you know there has been a "crafter-vention".  I can't help myself, at least that is my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!    
I gave each letter front and back two quick coats of paint and that's it!
From paper to the appearance of metal, so simple and fast.  When the short time it takes spray paint to dry, especially on a hot day, is the longest part of the project it is a huge success in my book!
The pictures don't really do it justice, (sorry about that) the hammered paint gives the paper letters a fun texture that looks far more expensive than the few bucks I invested.  Because these are so light you could spell out anything and use some 3M strips to hang on a wall without leaving any marks and you can easily move them when you change your mind or get the itch for a change which happens around here far more than I care to admit.  I still want to add a few fun quirky things possibly behind my letters to really finish off the space but at least it is a start!  And since this "exhausting" project has really taken it out of me I think I will go grab some coffee and put my feet up as a reward :)

Hope you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment