Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hope Chest

This cool old Lane Cedar Chest from the 50's was my grandmothers. "Grammy" received this as a gift when she was a teenager, it always meant a lot to her and she meant the world to me so I was thrilled to take it when my mom offered it to me earlier this year.
Unlike most of the furniture you buy today, it is solid and sturdy even after all these years, but it had seen better days.
Water stains, scratches and fading were holding it back from being special again so with my mom's approval I decided to paint it. I know some people will think painting a nice wood piece of furniture is blasphemous, but I thought it was worth the risk to make it something that I could use and enjoy everyday like my "Grammy" had.
So I sanded and primed the entire piece to cover any stains and blemished, then painted on two coats of Behr paint and primer in Moonlight White.

Then with a combination of sand paper and steel wool I distressed the top and corners to give it a little personality.
I love how it turned out and am so excited to have it at the foot of our bed.
It's great for extra storage and takes the place of a foot board.  (These are pictures from our old house, I need to update with some in the new room .. it looks even more amazing in there :)
Hope you like it!  

Lindsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment