Monday, March 5, 2012

Nutella No Bake Bars

I hadn't had a no bake cookie in years until a few months ago, I made a batch and wondered why oh why had I been depriving myself of this easy chocolate peanut buttery goodness??? Then a few weeks ago in the midst of a complete chocolate crisis while digging through my pantry, which basically means it was a life and death NEED for something chocolate NOW, I came across a jar of Nutella.  I didn't grow up eating Nutella, in fact I had never even tasted it but I kept hearing people talk about this stuff so I bought a jar intending to give it a try and see what all the fuss was about.  Fast forward to nine months later and the jar was still unopened so I figured now is as good a time as any and WOW am I glad!!!  By simply tweaking an old classic no bake recipe, the deliciousness you see before you has quickly become a new family favorite!  This is what you need....
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 13oz. jar Nutella 
1/2 cup butter
pinch salt
2 cups peanut butter
4 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup coconut
  In a large pan combine sugar, milk, Nutella, butter and salt.
Bring this mix to a boil and then pop on the lid for 30 seconds to a minute.  Don't skip this step, the steam allows the sugar on the sides of the pan to incorporate back into the mix.  Then take off the lid and continue heating until the mixture is at a steady boil for about a minute.  Basically, get it to where you can't stir down the bubbles and then let it go for a minute or so :)
Now take it off the stove and stir in the peanut butter until everything is smooth, then add in the oats and coconut.
You can make balls and let them cool, but I'm lazy so I decided to press the mixture into a pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
Now stare at the clock and will the hands to move faster so you can taste this treat.  Wait.. who are we kidding if you are anything like me you already licked the spoon! In my mind that's quality control.. right???  But if you have more willpower than me and have resisted the temptation just give it a few more minutes to cool and set up.. it's totally worth it :)
Once cool, cut into bars and enjoy.  FYI... make sure you hide a few for yourself for later because these babies go fast :)

Enjoy, Lindsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment