Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Diet Dr. Pepper Cupcakes


When I heard people talking about using soda (or pop as we call it :) in a cake I must admit I was more than skeptical.  But since I had a chocolate cake mix and some soda I thought I would give it a whirl.
 You can use really any combination of soda and cake that sounds good to you.  I had a chocolate cake mix on hand and since my best friend is a Diet Dr. Pepper fanatic I figured if it turned out well she would love it... and guess what these are AMAZING! Plus with only two ingredients.... this couldn't be easier!
Just mix the dry cake mix and 12 oz. of soda.. that's one full can or 1 1/2 cups.
 Once combined spoon into a muffin tin, the consistency will be thicker than normal cake batter but don't worry they magically turn out really moist and delicious.
Next, in a 350 degree oven bake for 18-22 minutes.
 This is the finished product.
No oil or eggs, but you would never know it!
 If you are really looking to cut calories these little gems taste amazing as is with no frosting.
 But we decided instead of frosting to use a little dab of fat free/sugar free cool whip and the combo was a huge hit!  It's the perfect way to satisfy a sweet craving without feeling too guilty!
 Or if you are really daring... our version of a skinny ho-ho.... cool-whip on top and in between!  This is my personal favorite :)  Hey with all that fat and calories I saved using the soda... I think I deserve the extra whip... don't you???  Yes.. that really is how my brain works :)
I can't wait to try other combinations of cake and soda.  Grab a soda and try one tonight!  Let me know how they turn out.

Enjoy, Lindsey :)


2 comments:

  1. This is the only post I could find about doing "diet Dr. Pepper cupcakes" I am soooo excited to make these! I am starting the baking process right now! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are soooo yummy! Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you love them as much as we did :)

      Enjoy, Lindsey

      Delete