Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cookie Pops, Treats For My Little Valentines :)

Cake pops are so popular and they really are a fun treat for an event or special occasion, but they take some time which unfortunately is something I don't always have a lot of :)  So when I saw someone use the same idea with OREO's I thought I would give it a try.  The post I saw had no instructions so I totally winged this one and after an early stumble figured out a pretty good method I think :)
For these sweets on a stick you need Oreo's, lollipop sticks and chocolate.
Instead of melting the chocolate in a bowl, I've found that using a cup or glass works best.  The smaller size means you don't have to keep as much chocolate melted, but you still get the depth you need to totally cover the cookie.
While you are melting the chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave, slowly insert your sticks into the center of the cookie.  I put the stick a little less than half-way into the filling while pressing the cookie from the top and bottom to keep the sandwich together.  If you push the stick too far it will separate the cookies.
Now carefully dip the cookie into your melted chocolate.  If you find that the chocolate is too thick you can add a little bit of vegetable oil to thin it out.  Just remember to never use water!!!  It will make the chocolate seize up.
You want to make sure that the entire cookie is covered, especially around the stick because once this hardens it will be the "glue" that holds everything together.  It helped me to use a spoon to evenly coat everything.
Next, I carefully added sprinkles and chocolates while the coating was still wet.  You could just do the chocolate, but since these are for Valentine's Day I thought I would make them extra special for my little sweeties :) 
After you've added the toppings you could just lay them on a piece of wax paper to harden, but I didn't want to mess up the sprinkles so I used a foam floral block from the dollar store as a drying station.  Through a little trial and error I found that until the chocolate hardens the weight of the cookie can cause it to slip off the stick, so putting them at an angle into the block seemed to help hold the cookie until everything dried.
This epic fail was my first one.  OOPS!!!  Hey you live you learn right??? I know there are many women out there who can whip up perfect looking creations without a glitch.. I am not one of those girls :)  So if you are like me hopefully this OOPS picture will be encouragement to get back on the horse!!! 
Because after a few tweaks, I made these just a few minutes later :)
These Cookie Pops are adorable, delicious and so quick!
You can wrap them with plastic and ribbon for a really cute gift anytime of the year.
But in my house there was no time for fancy packaging, 
they were devoured the very second they were ready :)
They were a HUGE hit! 

 Take five minutes and make these for the sweeties... big or little in your life... they'll love 'em!!!

Enjoy, Lindsey :)

2 comments:

  1. Love that last little picture of B. So cute, he loves you and his cookie pop!! Plus you are obviously reading your how to use the camera pins, all the pics look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tria.. I still need lots of practice :) B says hello and yes the treats were a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete