Thursday, January 26, 2012

DIY Teeth Whitening .. Pearly Whites for Pennies!

I LOVE sparkly white teeth, if I had just a smidge less willpower I may actually end up with those teeth that are so white they are almost blue... you know you've seen them!!!!  Those people who need to put down the teeth whitening trays for a few YEARS!  It is a slippery slope and I have teetered on the edge a few times, but thankfully I stepped away from the edge and the whitening gel just in time :)  I actually haven't whitened my teeth in about a year and a half which is a record for me, partly because I was pregnant and since then I've just been too cheap to pay for the treatments.  So I decided to try some of the at home teeth whitening ideas I've seen online, before spending any more money on dentist whitening.  And guess what it works!!!!
Baking Soda is in so many whitening toothpastes so I figured that was a good place to start and I'm pretty excited about the results so far.
To make mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda, with half a teaspoon of water and a squirt of your regular toothpaste.  The regular toothpaste takes the edge off the strong baking soda taste.  I'm a big baby when it comes to things that don't taste great so this was key for me, but if you are tough then you can leave that part out :)
Brush for 2 minutes... 3 times a week for a month... two months if you are looking for a dramatic difference.  Just like the DIY Face Scrub, I keep this in a small plastic container with a lid right next to the sink so I don't forget to use it!

Enjoy, Lindsey :)

9 comments:

  1. Hydrogen peroxide works wonders for whitening as well. I pour a bit on my toothbrush which kills germs on the brush & brightness my teeth! Maybe I should get a dark container and mix some baking soda with peroxide. Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GIGI!!! I totally plan to try the peroxide as well :)

      Delete
    2. Baking soda and peroxide will FIZZ.

      Delete
  2. There are numerous ways to use baking soda, and this is one of them. I can't fully express how wonderful baking soda is! It's been proven to be an effective cleaning agent inside the kitchen, but now it's also a favorite teeth bleaching agent. To some, the use of hydrogen peroxide as bleaching agent for teeth is seems quite risky. So, they tend to look for more items that are safer for use, such as baking soda. In this tutorial, what they did was to mix baking soda and toothpaste to create a teeth-bleacher. I just wish that it's as effective as a normal teeth-bleacher.

    Elfrieda Sevigny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS! I have drink a lot of coffee and it’s hard to keep my teeth from staining… I wish I would’ve seen this first because I think I tried 1,000 things before I finally found something that worked for me. If you’re interested in trying out what worked for me you can get the instructions here: www.weartostandout.com/blog/how-to-whiten-your-teeth and tell me what you think! xoxo, WearToStandOut

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was wondering if it is ok to reuse the same mixture for the whole week? or should i craete a new mixture every day? Thanks for sharing! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make this in small batches, but use the same mix for the week until it's gone :) Hope that helps, thanks so much for the comment!

      Delete
  5. Hydrogen peroxide is indeed a good ingredient for whitening. This is a great idea, especially if you want to save money from having to go to a dentist every time and undergo teeth-whitening procedures. Thanks for sharing!
    Clinton Zelman

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are lots of pros and cons to think when it comes to baking soda teeth whitening.

    Teeth Whitening Orlando

    ReplyDelete