Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Thrift Store Frame & Spoons = Headband Holder

If you have read any of my posts chances are you have caught on to the fact that saying, "I sometimes put our little girl in ridiculously big headbands" is probably the understatement of this little munchkins life. She wears them EVERYWHERE! People often stop me and ask how I get her to keep them on and I freely admit that she just doesn't know any better! She has had one on since the doctor cleaned her off and I'm pretty convinced she thinks it grows out of her head :) Plus my kids are "follicly challenged", they can't grow anything that even comes close to resembling hair until they are almost two.  So that being said headbands are a necessity and she has them in every size, shape, color and design.  A girl always has to have options, right? The problem is they are a constant mess!  I take full responsibility because it's usually me riffling through them looking for "just the right one", but yesterday I found her in her crib after a nap with about 35 that she had pulled in there with her just having a grand 'ol time.  So I knew then and there that we needed a better system than the messy basket on her dresser. There are a lot of great ideas out there using oatmeal containers and picture frames. This is what I came up with.
I found this frame at a thrift store for $1.  It was natural wood so I took out the glass and picture and then spray painted it Ivory.  
 The spoons are all different and I found them at a thrift store for 5 cents a piece.  Since this will soon be covered in an "explosion of color" by the time all the headbands and clips are on it.. I liked the idea of a  neutral background and this scrap piece of fabric I already had seemed to work.
For the back you'll also need a piece of cardboard (or the back of the frame if you have it... I didn't), spray adhesive and some batting.
To get started I sprayed the cardboard with adhesive then laid down the batting to give it that cushioned look.
Next I added the piece of scrap fabric.  After making sure the stripes were straight I pulled it tight and used a little more spray adhesive to tack it down to the cardboard.
 Then I used a few silver upholstery tacks to attach some twine and give the clips a place to hang.  You could use ribbon, but I liked the "rustic" look.  Now because of our "hair issues" (we have no hair to clip too) most of our stash is headbands and I wanted to add those too, so I took an idea I saw for a key chain holder that used bent vintage spoons and adapted it for this project. 
These are the neat old spoons I found at a thrift store for 5 cents.  I bent and then glued them with E6000 glue to the front of the frame. A little weight to let the glue set....
and in no time, with very little money invested this is what it looks like on the wall BEFORE it's covered...
and AFTER!
I think the spoon hooks make it fun and different, plus you can't beat the price :)
 For now at least some of those headbands are out of the basket, out of my toddlers reach and in plain sight in the event of a fashion emergency :)

Good Luck, Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment